Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Little Details


Last week I talked about THINGS. The previous week, it was questions like why and what if. This week, I’m thinking about important details that might just make all the difference. Because sometimes, it’s the small things that can make or break a story, a day, a change, or, you know whatever.

For instance, when you buy a house, big things will decide whether or not you look, but it’s the small things that often make the sale. The extras, like tile instead of vinyl, porcelain versus fiberglass, solid wood as compared to pressed board. A water view or a pool?

This also applies to story. Little details can make or break a story. These are the things that really involve a reader and make them care about where the story is set, and what happens to the characters. What matters to your character? Why? Who is important to them? Who do they trust or distrust? And what would they do to protect those people or those things?

And on a smaller scale, it is often small things that have the potential for making someone’s day. A kind word. A smile. An offered chair. A good deed. A helpful tip.

Now it’s your turn. What small things make a difference to you today?


3 comments:

Carolyn V said...

Oh my gosh! That's so true. Small things for me today...hot chocolate. It totally gives me a smile. ;)

Cindy Beck, author said...

Totally agree with Carolyn V ... hot chocolate was a wonderful, small thing for me today. Warmed me up when I was freezing cold from shoveling snow!

Nice post, Nichole. :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

The small things can definitely bring sunshine to your day! Today we're eating some Japanese food. It's the ginger sauce I make that makes or breaks the whole meal. Mmmmm ... :D