Friday, February 1, 2013

Trends in Entertainment


Have you all noticed the trend in fairytale based movies lately? Oh, and TV shows, too. Once Upon a Time, anyone? (Yes, I am a big fan, just FYI. If you haven’t already, I recommend checking it out.) Two current versions of Snow White, Red Riding Hood (which I finally saw), and now Hansel and Gretel (which I need to see). And if we look back a few years, some great, and fairly current, versions of Cinderella.

And personally, I really like this trend, because I have always been a big fan of fairy tales.  Seriously, who doesn’t love a little happily ever after every now and then?

Also, I’m hearing (and seeing) announcements for a number of multi-cultural historical books being sold, which I find exciting, because these stories are different, and different is interesting.  And I am also a fan of culture and history, so putting the two together sounds like a good combination to me.

What else? Alternate reality stories. LOVE. Great stories about plagues, and toppled governments, and characters who leap off the pages with their tough bravado as they try to restore and rebuild broken societies.

I’m excited about all these trends, and looking forward to seeing the movies and reading the books. What about you? What new trends/movies/books are you exciting to you?




5 comments:

Carolyn V said...

I love the fairy tales too. I used to read them over and over as a kid. They're just awesome.

Leslie said...

I love the fairy tale trend too! I really enjoy Once Upon A Time but a friend of mine thinks it's over the top cheesy. But that might be what I like about it!

Nichole Giles said...

Yeah, I think it is a little cheesy sometimes too, but I love how they've incorporated all the fairy tales from our youth into one single series. So much fun and creativity. Thanks for your comments ladies!

BrendaSue said...

Love the fairy taes....especially Grimm.

Anonymous said...

I think fairytales reach so many people because there's a bit of truth in each of them. And there's always that sense of wonder.

I love the alternate world thing too. I love seeing how things would change based on a few choices. Wild to think of the world working that way.