Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Bucket List People

We all know what a bucket list is, right? (No I never saw the movie, but I need to rent it one of these days.) Basically, it’s a list of stuff we want to do before we die.

Everyone I know has one of these lists, even if it’s not actually mapped out and considered on a day-to-day basis. Come on, admit it. There is STUFF you want to DO! And I mean, really do for real, not just say you did, or pretend, or look up on Wikipedia and try to live vicariously through a virtual snapshot tour.

I’ve decided that a lot of us believe we’re going to A) live forever, and therefore have all the time in the world to accomplish these big things or B) die way too soon, and therefore need to rush to do everything all at once, hurry, hurry, hurry, nownownow! Because if we don’t, we’ll never experience anything.

Type A people will likely never finish, or even actually start writing that novel / take that acting class / learn to paint / start a business /learn to Zumba / insert wicked awesome fun thing here.

Type B people don’t have the time to waste thinking about trivial things that require serious attention, like education and bridge building. They will also be unlikely to do any of the options listed above.

Well, okay. I suppose there are a few people who might fall into C) don’t care to experience new things, prefer to not have any kind of change, ever, and for whom a stagnant life is ideal.

But really? I don’t know a single one of those people. They probably exist. Somewhere in the wild jungles of a foreign country that hasn’t been discovered or listed on Google Earth.

Then there’s category D) We believe life is precious, but understand that there is no rush to become who we are because the journey is as important as the end result. However, when an opportunity arises, we take it, understanding that it’s a chance to DO one of those things, and learn from it. We are the project undertakers, the rule makers, the bucket list fulfillers who will take life as it comes, one day at a time, and work toward a happy ending. Every day, we look to the sky and wonder what more we can do, in any given moment, to better enrich our lives, as well as those of the people around us.

What category of person do you want to be and how can you become that?

7 comments:

Christine Fonseca said...

I would like to think of myself in the D category - and probably most days I am...
Most days

Angela said...

I'm very type B, but just assumed I was born that way. What do I want to do before I die? Hmmmmm, see one of my books published.

Hey, I'm having a giveaway and poetry contest on my blog. I'd love it if you would stop by and enter.

Jess said...

I have a list and it has almost 200 things on it, most of them are places Id like to go but none the less still a lot of things to do before i die how ever I think i fit into the type D.. I have no rush to get them done.. I have done a few on my list and If I get them all or even a few more before I die awesome if not eh no biggie life was still fun.

Elana Johnson said...

Dude, I want to do everything. Experience everything. I know I can't, so I just enjoy my life in the now. I have a moment every day. I try not to worry about what's coming, and I try to fix what I did wrong yesterday.

Carolyn V. said...

I hope I'm D, but I'm a little of all the rest all mixed up together. =D

ali cross said...

I am definitely a D person. My bra says so!

Cindy Beck, author said...

Good post! And seriously, you have to laugh at Ali's answer! :)