Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Why?

When it comes to being told no, writers are probably the most steadfast, forge ahead, move-on-type people I know. If I didn’t know better (and believe me, I KNOW BETTER) I’d think we actually thrive on rejections of one type or another (consider: agent/publisher rejection, difficult critique comments, negative reviews, etc.). And yet, we write anyway. We submit anyway. And we get feedback anyway.

Why. Why do we try so hard? Why do we keep writing, submitting, critiquing, blogging, and social networking to the point of giving up other important things in our lives—like sleep?

For me, I think it’s because even when I’m miserably disappointed, deep down I remember how happy I am when I get into a rhythm and actually unfurl my creative wings. That happiness is why I write. It’s often why I smile. Sometimes, it’s even why I breathe. And I believe, truly believe, that if I keep working, keep believing, don’t give up, that eventually I will jump the hurdles currently holding me back and finally face the next hurdle.

But what’s true for me might not be true for the rest of you. So tell me. Why do you keep trying?

5 comments:

Carolyn V said...

I'm in the same boat. I just keep trying, even when people will tell me no. (I'm a little crazy that way.)

Randy said...

I could say that I just love to write, but it is probably more accurate to state that I HAVE to write. Besides, I'm not big on people telling me "no". They can tell me. I tend to take that word as a suggestion.

Tapper said...

You do write bravely! I usually go a more cowardly route and give up when it overwhelms me and lick my wounds for a while. I wish I could say I love to write and live to write, but sometimes I hate it. What I love is the taste of words. But you have to go through all the hassle and mess of baking and cooking before you can eat them. This analogy is going to fail miserably any minute, but I write because at the end of all the work, the words are sweet on my tongue and it's a flavor I keep getting a craving for no matter how many times I try to kick the habit. :)

Anonymous said...

I think I feel many of those same impulses to keep going. I've also learned that when I don't write, there's this black, heavy stone within me that can't shift. When I write, I'm peeled back and all of that just...escapes.

It thrills me to know you'll never give in because your stories thrill me even more.

Mark Koopmans said...

Aloha Nicole,

Found you via your guest post over at the Dojo, and had to stop by and say Hi from HI :)

(It's cheesy, but me :)

Anyway, loved this post, too, and you have a new follower.

I can't stop writing either... even in comments apparently :)