Monday, August 30, 2010

What is it Exactly?

My spoiler-free thoughts about MOCKINGJAY.

I’m writing this week’s blogs on the heels of having just finished MOCKINGJAY. (Don’t worry, no spoilers here.)

My brain is fried.

My emotions are all over the place.

I slept maybe three hours Saturday night, after having to actually drag myself out of bed—where I’d been lying wide awake—to read five pages past a certain critical point where I’d last closed the book (and only because I had to try and sleep). I also took an Ibuprofen for a headache while I was up.

After I finished, the first thing I wanted to do was go outside, get some air, some sunshine, and hug my children, my husband.

I was both engrossed and disturbed. I loved it and hated it at the same time, and while I was satisfied at the outcome, it was very painful to get to that point. That book—no, the whole series—made me think, made me ponder. Made me grateful for the world I live in, even with all our imperfections. Made me angry, too.

Part of me wants to say that this is good writing, amazing writing. Phenomenal. And yet. There’s that hated it side of me that wonders. This conclusion was my least favorite volume of the series, even though I am glad to know how it ended. Is it because the writing slipped? Or because the subject touched raw nerves? Or because I hated being in the thick of battle with characters I loved? Hated seeing what happened to each of them individually, as well as collectively.

I can’t really decide yet. If you’ve read it, what do you think? (No spoilers, please!) Did you love it? Hate it? Want to hug it to your chest and also throw it against a wall?

And is it truly phenomenal writing? (To this, I suspect the answer is a resounding yes, though it might take me a few days to think that way.)

Oh, and also, are you (or were you) Team Gale or Teem Peeta? And did you ever change sides?

9 comments:

Tess said...

I'm glad you posted this. I find the series very violent. It wouldn't phase me, except I saw it in my child's Scholastic book order from elementary school (Hunger Games last year).

I wonder if S. Collins intended to make a social statement...how the people in the Capital/govt gain so much entertainment from watching the violence and yet...as readers...that is exactly what we are doing. Just an interesting thought. At least to me.

don't misunderstand. I read and enjoyed the series. Brilliant writing to evoke such emotion. But, a little too violent for my sensitivities.

Carolyn V. said...

I feel the exact same way Nichole! There was one point when I almost threw the book across the room! But I was so happy with the ending. But all in all...great writing. =)

Elana Johnson said...

Okay, I've been a staunch Team Gale person, until this book. The end explains it perfectly, and made me feel like a complete loser for ever thinking Gale was on a Team at all. So there's that.

And yes, it was disturbing, but you know what? *whispers* I write like that, so to me, it was just normal. Like that's the way it should have been. A no-brainer. So I wasn't shocked and I didn't have to take days/hours to let it sink it.

It just is. But that's probably just me, because my books don't end happily ever after either.

But I really enjoyed it.

Taffy said...

I thought there wasn't enough romance but how do you feel love in a place like the Capital?
It was brilliant and violent and hard to read and amazing and Team Peeta all the way and a let down at the end and I just knew what Katniss would do... *out of breath*

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I'm hearing these sentiments echoed over and over again across the web. It makes me very nervous to read the book.

ali cross said...

I liked Mockingjay. Didn't love it, though I did give it four stars, mainly because I felt like it was a satisfying ending to the series and because I did like reading it. However, I didn't love it as much as Hunger Games, but I liked it a ton better than Catching Fire.

I thought the writing was good. I liked her characterization a lot. But no, I didn't feel the need to crush it to my chest and tell it I love it more than any other book.

Good, for sure. Not too violent for me. I like it real like that. *shrug*

Nichole Giles said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone. Now that I've had a few days and taken the time to go back and reread the book again, I've decided that yes, this is indeed phenomenal writing.

The journey was painful for the length, for the misery and for the loss.

And in case you're wondering, I've decided the answer to my previous question is that I love it, because it really made me feel.

Julie Wright said...

I love what you said in your comment That it really made you feel. I haven't read it yet because I can't read ANY new novel until I finish the one I'm working on. So the book taunts me along with a modest stack of other books taunting me. I'm almost done with my manuscript so maybe next week. But I am a little nervous about finishing the series. I loved the other two books, but worry that I might not love this one as much as the others. I guess we'll find out. I hope all is well with you.

Rebecca Irvine said...

I agree that there is not enough romance. It would have balanced it out a bit more, but maybe the author intended it to be unbalanced. I could see why she might have done that.