Friday, April 2, 2010

Icy Slopes, New Skills, and Ibuprofen to the Rescue

This week, after eighteen and a half years of living in Utah, I took my first ski lesson. The problem isn't that I’m not an outdoors-type girl, or that I’m not willing to try new things necessarily. Just that I’ve never had an intense, mad desire to go flying down an icy slope on two waxed sticks with nothing more than a couple of poles and my body to steer me.

Yeah, well. Can you blame me?

But here’s the thing. Once I had an actual lesson from someone who knows what he’s doing, I realized that skiing isn’t necessarily as hard as I’ve always thought. I actually skied! Without killing myself.

Okay, so yeah, I did biff it once the instructor left me to my own devices, and totally twisted my knee in the wrong direction so badly that by the end of the day I could barely walk. But that’s beside the point. I tried something new and learned a new skill. And I have an economy-sized bottle of Ibuprofen, so it’s all good.

So the next time you think something is too hard, or that you’re not capable of learning a new skill, think again and try it anyway. You might just surprise yourself.

And that is all I have to say about that.


Don't be left out! This weekend is your last chance to enter my contest for lots of fun prizes. Click here for more details.

2 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

You tried skiing?! Nichole! That is so cool. I've only been skiing once and it was a terrible experience. I haven't been back, but maybe in the future....hum. (You've got me thinking) =)

Nichole Giles said...

Yep, I did it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to join the US Olympic team. Just sayin. =)

Have fun if you try it again, Carolyn.

Nichole