Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Making a Memorable Impression

In the time since I decided to seriously go into writing as a career, I’ve been to a lot of conferences and conventions. And since the writing world is relatively small, I’ve noticed I tend to run into some of the same people again and again. They’re the serious ones—or the devoted ones. Or maybe just the crazy ones. I can’t decide. Whichever it is, I’m one of them.

A lot of those people remember me. And I remember them. I take the time to learn their names (though it’s definitely not a strength of mine) and something about them that will stick in my memory.

At a recent conference, I had the opportunity to run into a few people who I have only met once or twice before. These people remembered not only my name, but that I used to live in Utah, that I write, and that I recently had a book published. And I remembered each of them, for a number of reasons.

Someone recently asked me how that works. My first instinct was to blush and say, I don’t know, it just does. But then I dug a little deeper into human nature, and I realized something. I am best at remembering those people who treat me with respect. But even more, I am BEST at remembering people who are kind. Who smile when we’re talking, and say gracious things. People who can have a conversation about nothing, and remember details. I remember people because of how they make me feel each time we meet.

I think maybe it works that way on both sides. I put a lot of effort into being kind. To everyone, regardless of who they are, what they do for a living, or where they live in the world. I try to be inclusive rather than exclusive. I try to embrace people for their individuality. I may not always succeed, but I definitely try.

I don’t know if that makes me memorable or not. But that is the number one reason I will remember someone else. Thus, my circle grows.   

Granted, not everyone will always remember us. There are also people I've met a number of times who have yet to pay well enough attention to remember me. And that's okay. I guess I'll just have to keep being nice, keep being me, and one of these days, they will.

What do you think? How do people make a memorable impression on you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I talked about you yesterday to someone because I was reflecting on your kindness. You're the kind of person that leaves a deep impression on the heart, the kind of person who you can't help but feel loyalty for, and the kind of person that always brings sunlight into people's lives.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I am like you. I remember people by how they make me feel. The problem comes when I have to remember their name ... hah. I remember you because of how kind you are, so I think you've done well with that!