Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Books are Still For Lovers


Last year, my friend Lisa put together Books are for Lovers, a sort-of support campaign aimed at brick and mortar bookstores. And let’s face it, bookstores need love too. I don’t think anyone wants to see physical bookstores disappear from society, even if we read more e-books than regular ones.

Ink and paper books just have a distinctly special smell, a texture that cannot be imitated, and the experience of reading one is completely different from that of reading an electronic book.

So this Valentine’s Day, we encourage you to treat yourself, and maybe even those you love, to a real ink and paper book from a brick and mortar store. Barnes and Noble, independent bookstores, wherever your community goes to buy books in person.

I’m going. Not sure what I’ll choose, but I have a list of books I’d love to read, so we’ll see what I can find. The question is how many will come home with me.

If you participate, be sure to stop by and tell me what you bought! Oh, and also, visit Lisa’s blog and enter the Books are for Lovers contest.

Speaking of lovers, being the hopeless and ridiculous romantic that I am, I love Valentine’s Day. Not because I receive expensive gifts or get to eat out (though, that does happen on rare occasions), but because I love when people express their love for others. I love to give my kids a special little something—even if it’s just a chocolate bar. I don’t need an excuse, of course, but having a day designated for that expression is sometimes a good reminder for people, and the truth is, I think we all need reminders sometimes.

So tell me, what are you doing for the people you love this week?

No comments: