Friday, October 5, 2012

Fear of the Unknown


I think it’s safe to say we all have fears. Lots of them. (Not that some of us would admit to them, but they exist.) But have you ever made a major life decision based on fear? Or maybe you went with courage instead?

Seriously. Life is scary. Success is scary. Failure is scary. Commitment is scary.

Some people fear staying in one place long enough to matter, while others fear leaving that place in order to spread their wings, make more of themselves or their lives.

Playing sports, or letting our kids play them = scary. Skydiving, scuba, traveling to new countries, learning to drive, riding on a motorcycle, skiing, anything you’ve never done before. Starting a new project, changing careers, anything that signals the beginning of a new phase of life can be REALLY FREAKING SCARY.

Because once we do those things, there will be some kind of result. Good or bad. And sometimes, when we do something big, the results can be ridiculously terrifying.

But if we don’t take those chances, do those things, how boring would our lives be? And more importantly, how would we ever discover the most amazing parts of life?

Sometimes we all have to take the scary road.

Submit that novel. Query that agent. Apply for that job. Move to a new city. Ask out that guy/girl you like. Plan that party. Go somewhere foreign.

DO SOMETHING BIG.

This weekend, I challenge you go do something you’ve been putting off because of fear. And when you do, I want to hear about it.

Well, what are you waiting for?

Go! Go now!

Good luck.

6 comments:

Stina said...

I can't think of anything to do. We're going away for the weekend. I'm already doing things I fear, like querying. I'm just not querying as frequently as I should be. :)

Nichole Giles said...

Here's an idea. Maybe you send twice as many queries as you have in the past? That's big. Whatever you do, good luck!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I'll have to think about this one! I've been pretty good this past year about doing things I was afraid to do. Writing two novels in 5 months was one of them. In all honesty, I'm exhausted now! But I've learned a lot about what I can do now and that I'm not afraid of pushing myself even when I think everything is crumbling around me.

Angie said...

Thanks, Nichole. I'm battling a lot of fear right now. The time has come for boldness!

adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This made me think of something I saw on pinterest. http://pinterest.com/pin/1759287325680109/