Friday, October 19, 2012

Change is Coming


I don't do this very often, but this week, I'm feeling a bit melancholy, and when that happens, sometimes, the result is poetry. Hope you don't mind if I indulge in sharing here. 

Change is Coming

This week the last of the leaves are turning
Preparing to drift to the ground
A layer of snow dusts the mountain tops
Preparing to stay for the winter

Farmers harvest their fields
Gardeners clip back their plants
People dust off their coats and boots
Getting ready for the temperatures to drop

Animals store their winter supplies
And build sturdy nests to keep them warm
While birds form flocks
And fly south.

The north wind blows
Bringing cold air and change
And a lone whistle sings
That winter is coming.

While families huddle close
Knowing changes in weather
Cannot steal love’s warmth
No matter where they live.

Are you ready?


Have a lovely weekend, and I hope you'll take time to notice the beauty resulting from seasonal changes. I know I will.  

3 comments:

J.R. Johansson said...

Gorgeous, Nichole! Sorry you're feeling melancholy. I'm back in town (finally!). Maybe we should schedule a lunch date? :)

Angie said...

Lovely poem. Fall is always such a beautiful and yet sad time. Good luck with all your changes, Nichole!

Anonymous said...

I really felt this one. The seasonal change this year has really struck me. So beautiful. So cold. Hmm.