Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I’m back! And happy Independence Day.

Though it feels like I’ve been gone for a very, very long time, I’m back! And trying to get back into real-life routines like blogging. And writing. The good news is I’m now several chapters into a new work in progress, and thanks to the much-needed break, feeling excited and optimistic about it.

While I was gone, I crossed some cool things off my bucket list, but that’s another post for another day. Today is a very important day for the United States. It’s the anniversary of the day when our founding fathers officially declared the split with England and signed the Declaration of Independence.

Independence Day.

I saw this document once. About a year and a half ago, we were in Washington D.C.. A cold snap had blanketed the area with freezing temperatures the likes of which I have never experienced. The kind of cold that seeps through your clothes, through your very skin, and starts to freeze your bones. I didn’t know it could get so cold. Nonetheless, flocks of people lined up at the National Archives and settled in for a lengthy wait, all hoping to catch a glimpse of the antique document that, in so many ways, changed the world. When it was my turn, I stood there, staring at those signatures, that fragile parchment, and was struck with amazement.

They were just words.

Strung together by brilliant and desperate people, yes. Important people. But words, just the same. Words that shaped a nation. Words that defined a society. Words that changed the world.

So today, while you’re out celebrating (and I certainly hope you are), I hope you will take a moment to think hard about your own words, and what they can do. The potential power that can be found by simply finding the right words.

Today, I am grateful for my freedom, and for all those who work every day to give those freedoms to us, as well as others.

Happy 4th of July!

No comments: