Friday, January 6, 2012

My Kind of Resolutions

Oh yes, it may be a trendy thing. I have lots of goals this year, too. But more importantly, I have resolutions.

What’s the difference? Hm. I think goals are like targets for which you can aim. For instance, go to the gym four times a week, polish two manuscripts and draft a third, send at least 100 queries (or find an agent or get a deal, whichever comes first), read 75 books, learn to scuba dive. Stuff like that.

But a resolution is more of a state of mind, a type of behavior, a change to the very way we act.

Over the holidays, I’ve had a lot of time to think about people. About human beings and our different conditions and circumstances. I think part of my thinking was spurred on by L.T. Elliot’s post about being capsized. But that’s not where it began. I think it started a long time ago, and was brought into sharp relief over the holidays.

And so I’ve made a different list of resolutions this year. I hope some of you will join me.

1. Love. Love everyone I should, and even some I shouldn’t, and love hard, because you never know when the important people in your life won’t be there anymore.

2. Forgive. Even the people who don’t deserve it. Because holding onto anger and hate only serves to make us miserable. And no one wants to be miserable.

3. Give. Give back to the world, give up impossible expectations, give of myself, and give something my all.

4. Create. Happiness, dreams, and the kind of life I really want to live. Because happiness starts from within, and must be created first within our hearts.

5. Dance. Alone, with a group, with people I love, as well as strangers. Because dancing, well. It’s fun. And healthy. And it makes me feel amazing.

6. Sing. Because I like it. Because I can. And really, besides myself, who’s listening anyway?

7. Jump. Off a cliff, into the water, into new ideas and out of old habits. Just jump.

8. Smile. At everyone. Even when they make me mad. Because everyone has bad days, and a smile might make things better.

9. Shop. For the best possible deals—some of the best things in life come free.

10. Ride. The wave fate has thrown for me. And never let it suck me under. I AM strong.

So now you know my plans for 2012. Which do you think are more important, goals or resolutions? What are some of yours?

5 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

This is really beautiful. :)

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Beautiful post. :)

Anonymous said...

I think those are the best resolutions I've heard of this year. And resolutions we ought to make every year and every day.

Just one of the many reasons I love you.

Angie said...

I love those! Thanks, Nichole.

J.R. Johansson said...

Love this. I may just have to adopt it. ;-) Great post!