I am still too exhausted to write an entire blog post detailing all my favorite moments from RENOvation. And since school started, like, hours after I returned home, I expect to be exhausted for—I dunno—another week? A month? Anyway, I don’t want to wait that long to tell ya, so I’m going to make a list and hope it gives you just a little taste of my favorite parts of last week. (In the order I come up with them, but not necessarily in order of what I loved most or least.)
1. Upon arrival at the conference center, my roomies and I immediately saw George R.R. Martin and stalked him until he agreed to come to the throne and pose in a picture with us.
2. Checking out the dealer room (and by dealer, I mean where they sell stuff that is legal, like corsets and books and jewelry—what were you thinking?) and finding treasures. Some of which were people.
3. Attending a private party hosted by TOR and hanging with more agents and editors than I’ve ever, ever seen in one single location. (Yes, we met, and yes, we pitched, and yes, requested. *squee*)
This is where they stored the drinks. Dr. Pepper, all around! (Why yes, that is a bathtub.)
4. Being escorted the half mile to our hotel (after missing the shuttle) by bestselling author Peter Brett and his agent friend Eddie Schneider (JABerwocky). They were quite chivalrous. And also lots of fun to hang out with. And now I have to read all of Peter’s books and catch up with the rest of the world because I have—apparently—been living under a rock for the last few years.
5. Becoming a lampshade sister with my roomies, wherein we swore an oath to always attend WorldCON together because it was SO BEYOND AWESOME. (*hugs to my sistahs* Especially Alaina, who is not in this pic, but was in one--somewhere.)
6. Chillin with lots of peeps I haven’t seen for a while, and making SO MANY new friends from around the world.
7. Attending the Hugos, even though none of my Utah friends won, and then actually being allowed to HOLD A HUGO later that evening.
8. Really amazing, creative, beautiful costumes being worn by some really amazing, creative, BRAVE, bold people. Also, my roomies and I dressed up for Masquerade night. It. Was. AWESOME.
9. Being invited to a private party by George Martin himself (and also by Lodey, and Wolfgang, and I think Stego, then later Frisco and Blackfyre—they all invited us) hosted by the Brotherhood Without Banners where we met some really awesome peeps, and joined, and then were invited back the next night so we could be sent on a quest after which we were knighted by GRRM. (That’s Ser Nichole, Awful Awful Lady Knight to you!) Funnest parties ever. I’m serious. Thanks BWB!
10. Hearing this EXCELLENT news about my Lampshade Sister, Jenn, and celebrating by eating Italian food at La Veccia. Twice. I am so happy for her I squealed. A few times. I’m actually hoarse now. Not joking.
So, there you have them—ten off-the-cuff highlights from RENOvation. There’s more. A lot more. But some stuff just has to be experienced.
What about you? What’s one of your most awesome conference/convention experiences? I’d love to hear it.