Friday, December 17, 2010

Oh, Holiday Music, Your Notes are Brightly Singing

So, I was driving down the street the other night and I happened upon a couple reindeer. No, I did not hit them with my car (thank goodness). They were in a yard as I passed by. Or rather, they passed me on their way through several yards.

It happened to be a snowy day, and as I passed the deer, a great Christmas song came on the radio.

Yes, I am a squishy marshmallow, because my heart turned into gooey mush. Yet two more reasons I love December. Real live reindeer (which I shouldn’t like, because they’re pests and also because the fact that they’re in town means there isn’t enough food in the mountains where they live) and Christmas music.

I won’t make a list of the deer. But oh I love the music. There are a handful of CD’s in my holiday stash, but the ones I play the most are probably SheDaisy, Amy Grant (yes it’s old, I don’t care), and Celine Dion. (Scroll down to my playlist if you want to give them a try.)

Oh, all right. Confession: When my kids are around, our family favorite is a CD called Elves Gone Wild. If you ever come across it, you should buy it. Funnest holiday music ever.

And if I had to choose three songs that make Christmas official at my house, they’re Santa Baby by Madonna, Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer by (hm, who sings that song?) and Silent Night by—well anyone. It’s just a great song.

Wait. I can't stop there. I also love Oh Holy Night. Because it's just so pretty, about any artist can make it sound good.

Okay, your turn. All time favorite holiday song or entire album? Spill! (I need some new songs this year—so do share.)

3 comments:

Shari said...

I LOOOOVE Christmas music. There are too many to name, but some of my favorites are Josh Groban, Mannheim Steamroller, Michael Buble, Sissel, MoTab, The Polar Express, Celtic Woman, Kenny G, . . . (I told you there were too many.)

Angie said...

I love Christmas music, but my Dad is the king of Christmas music. He listens to it all year, actually. His Christmas CD collection is to die for! Some of my favorite CDs are David Lanz--Christmas Eve, Jon Schmidt--Christmas and Winter Serenade, and David Tolk--Holiday. (We got his new CD, but it's for Christmas so I haven't listened to it yet.) Those are all piano music, which we just love!

Cami Checketts said...

I love Christmas music too, but I've been a little sad at how few of the classics you hear on the radio (Silent Night, Away in a Manger, Oh Come all ye Faithful, etc). I'd have to say the hymns are my favorite Christmas music, they really bring the spirit of the holidays into my heart.