Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Because it’s All About that Cover

This week my thoughts keep landing on book covers and how important they are toward a book’s overall success in the current market. Let’s be real. People can preach that old adage over and over again, but the fact still remains. Readers buy books according to a few very important guidelines, the first of those guidelines being what those readers see the first time they pick up a book (or click on the thumbnail).

Ladies and gentlemen, it really is all about the cover.

Yes, there are other guidelines. Is the title catchy? The cover copy (otherwise known as the description of the story) is also supremely important. Word of mouth—because seriously, twelve or thirteen years ago, who would have picked up a vampire romance without being told by countless friends that it was to-die-for awesome? Amazon reviews help a lot these days too, because a book that boasts 200 five-star ratings wouldn’t have those ratings unless it was at least a little bit good, right?

But always, always it comes down to first impressions, and the first thing a reader sees when picking up a book is the cover.

It’s kind of like when people color their hair with funky rainbow dyes. People judge. They might try hard not to, but unless they are the free-thinking creative type, most people have a very hard time accepting differences that are as bold and daring as hot pink hair. Luckily, people don’t generally have to pay to see a person’s hair, but they do have to decide whether or not to buy a book.

This brings me to my main question. What are your absolute favorite book covers this year?


To get this party started, here are a few (seriously, very few) of mine. I’d love to hear your opinions on these as well. Oh, and just so you know, I'm deliberately choosing covers of books I haven't read yet, but want to. 

I love this one because it just shows that this character is broken by her secrets. I don't even have to read the description to know I want to read this book.

Well, of course. It's by Ally Condie, so I know I want to read it. but also, I love the simplicity of the shell, showing the ripples of one tiny touch in the water. And the title font. Love the lines it creates.

This one. The title and cover work together so well to tell me that this story is about the words people say and how they affect each of us, and specifically this character who is holding the mirror and feeling invisible. LOVE.

Clearly I have a thing for water themed covers right now. But I love how these people just seem so out of place just below the surface enough that the sun still shines on them. On this one, I think it's the colors that stand out. And also, again, the title font. 
Okay, now it's your turn. Annnnnddd... GO!

1 comment:

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Great choices! All The Truth That's In Me was my favorite read of the year. SO good. And that cover is freaking amazing. I just got Atlantia and can't wait to dive in! :)