Last week I had some stress. I’m not going to go into details, but let’s just say that someone I trusted—someone I loved—chose to sacrifice their relationship with me in order to (they hoped) get ahead in a business venture. Unfortunately for them, and me as well, the sacrifice probably won’t get them very far. If anywhere.
But the relationship will never be the same, if it is ever mended.
The whole situation has made me pause and think. I know that desperate people often do desperate things, but when it comes right down to it, what would I be willing to sacrifice in order to succeed?
The truth is I’m not sure what I would sacrifice. It would totally depend on the situation. However, I know for sure a few things I would NEVER sacrifice.
1. People. No matter what happens, how badly I want something, how desperate I am to get it, people will always be more important than things, than money, than my personal success. Always.
2. Friendship. Because it’s more important than any career will ever be.
3. Personal beliefs. Everyone has lines they refuse to cross. I have mine too. They’re probably different than those belonging to other people, and that’s okay. That’s what makes us unique.
4. Things that are important to my immediate family. For instance, last spring I skipped out of a semi-formal awards dinner (which was part of a big local writer’s conference) to go home and help get my daughter ready for prom. It’s about priorities.
5. My sense of self. If becoming a well-known national author means I have to look, act, or pretend to be someone other than who I really am, I’m out. As it happens, I like me. And other than firming up, trimming down, and smoothing out a few troublesome areas, I have no plans to change who I am or what I stand for.
What about you? What would you NEVER sacrifice?