Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Books We Read Again

And again, and again. Seriously. Do you have some of these? I have this adorable teenage neighbor who knows how to take care of books, so I often loan them to her. We joke that I’m her personal library, and I kind of am, because I tend to have the most awesome new young adult books to recommend. And since I’m recommending, I might as well loan them, right? Yeah. So anyway, I ran into her the other day.

Her (in reference to The Hourglass Door series): Sorry I’ve had your books for so long. I was so sad to finish that I started reading them over again.

Me: Those are always the best ones. I’m glad you liked them.

Her: Do you have more that are good like that?

Me, rubbing hands together: What do you think? Of course.

I then rattled off a list, got her excited, and she had my books back to me two days later, excited to start The Hunger Games.

Personally, I have a number of these books on my shelves. When I love a book, I own it. The ink and paper version, and sometimes ALSO the digital version. Because I never know when I’ll have the itch to read it again. Recently, I read another fantastic book which was so beautiful and romantic that after reading it in two days, I immediately started over and read it again (even though I have a really big stack of other books to read).

In case you’re wondering, the recent book of mine was Dangerous Favor by Joyce DiPastena. Excellent historical fiction that's absolutely clean, and completely engrossing.

I confess to having a number of read-again books.

Do you do this? What are your recent favorites?

4 comments:

LM Preston said...

Yes I do. My daughter and I have been re-reading Shadow Walker by LA Banks. Also, I've read The Child Thief by Brom a few times too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do reread. It's like revisiting a friend or doing something you love, like swimming. Until you go back to that place, it's almost as though you've forgotten what it really feels like. When I feel homesick, I reread.

A current fav is Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles. They're monstrous in size but I don't even notice it because it whirls by so fast.

James C Duckett said...

I think I've read Ender's Game half a dozen times. Some others I've come back to are Dune and LotR. Lately my reading lust has made it so I don't have tie to re-read books but when I do I'll probably go on a Brandon Sandrson rampage.

Windy Aphayrath said...

i re-read constantly. and i think if i didn't re-read, i'd buy less. i have read all my books at least twice, if not more! as for newer books ... umm, yeah ... i haven't read many newer ones because, well, i've been re-reading the old ones!