Friday, June 24, 2011

The First Time I Saw...

Okay, I mentioned songs already. Still feeling a bit nostalgic, apparently, because now I’ve moved on to movies.

Picture this: I’m flipping through the TV channels on a Sunday afternoon, and come across a movie I haven’t seen for a long time. A movie that brings back all kinds of memories of friends and boys, old schools and other places, and feelings, lots and lots of feelings. The past. The present. The future.

Happens almost every weekend. Most often, lately, I find either The Notebook, or Titanic. But sometimes I’m lucky enough to find an older one like, Pretty in Pink or…Pretty Woman.

*eyes glaze over*

The first time I saw Pretty Woman, I was fifteen, and had met a boy at the show house one afternoon. Since we had the entire theater to ourselves, we were adventurous and sat in the aisle. The whole place smelled like spilled pop and that fake butter stuff they put on popcorn, and the air conditioner was cranked—raised goose bumps on my arms. Outside, it was like a hundred degrees (Phoenix weather), so I’m thinking it must have been either late spring or early summer.

And I remember that I really, really liked the boy. And yes, we went out again. Several times.

Ahh, memories. What movies take you back? To where? And with whom?

2 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

Oh wow, you make a great point. That's the most special part about movies and music, the memories they connect us to.

Angie said...

I think sometimes the memories are better than the actual movie. I loved Pretty in Pink so much, so I bought it a few years ago and watched it. It...wasn't as good as I remembered. I don't even dare watch Top Gun again.

But, walking into a movie theater in the summertime brings back floods of happy memories for me.