Wednesday, March 2, 2011

When to Stand Up

Yeah, apparently I’m still on that introspective-thinking-about-life kick. No worries, though, it’s not directed at anyone, I promise. I sometimes get this way in the winter. Probably my version of Seasonal Affect Disorder or whatever it’s called. (Have I mentioned I’m not a winter person?)

Anyway, on Monday I posted some rhetorical questions about people and labels and misconceptions. As you might have guessed, I actually have quite a lot of experience in this field. Not a bad thing, I assure you.

I’ve always been that person who liked to root for the underdog, the cheerleader of dreamers, the YES person. You know?

*shakes pom poms* Rah rah rah!

But being that doesn’t necessarily make me deaf, or blind, or...less observant than usual. It just means that I choose to not let the cynics of the world dictate my happiness. In this same vein, neither will I allow rumors or untruths or misconceptions go ignored to the point of damage.

Okay, wait, that’s not true. It’s all damaging to some degree. So let me reword that. I won’t allow it to directly damage me or the people I love without stepping in and attempting to pacify the situation.

The other day I stumbled onto Kelly Mortimer's blog, where the (agent)blog author discusses the importance of standing up to bullies who are attempting to steal your hard-earned chocolate milk. Her post made me really think, since I have recently encountered similar difficulties as the ones she mentions. 

I think, for me, what it comes down to is consequence. What will be the consequence of standing up, as opposed that of remaining sitting? Who will be hurt, how will they be hurt, and will that hurt accomplish anything good?

Again, rhetorical questions, because every situation is different. But I’m back to labels. Which labels are okay to keep, and which ones do we put ourselves out there to shed? And why?

4 comments:

Angie said...

Aren't you glad it's almost spring? I sure am! Those are some important questions to consider. I guess labels that build you up and make you feel good about yourself are the ones to keep. Shed the negative ones or those labels that create unrealistic expectations. Hope you are having a great day!

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Nichole! You and I sound SO much alike. I, too, root for the underdog and I stand up for them, too.

IE: If I see a lost child at the store, I ask if s/he is lost and then lead him or her to an employee.

One time, there was a fight on my street (kids walking home from school). I charged out of my door and yelled at them to stop.

I make it a point to say 'hi' to the new person and help them feel welcome because that's how I want to be treated.

Remember on my last comment to your last post? About my widowed sister? Well, I had to pray and pray about my choices there. It earned me anger and disgust from my siblings. They judged me and labeled me, but I did what I felt the Lord wanted me to do.

I will always do what Heavenly Father wants me to do, even if it gets others mad at me.

Have you read Don's "Bumpy Landings"? I really LOVE the moral behind it. It has touched me deep, unlike any book has (except for the scriptures) Well, his book talks about integrity.

Integrity. That's something I want to treasure, even if it gets people mad. It all comes down to me and the Lord and my family. And that's how I handle things!

Thank you for your honesty. I love ya, girl!

♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

amberargyle said...

What really sucks is being bullied by the people who have the power to make or break you. Take it and make it, or stand up and be taken down.

Too bad this kinda crap doesn't end in HS.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the varying situations needing different tactics. But I try to stand up and when I can't I try to fill the world with as much good as I can to make up for the bad.