Wednesday, January 26, 2011

All the Forces of Evil

Okay, so staying on the same subject as Monday’s post, (and because I’m apparently on a fairy tale kick) if love conquers all, is that all it takes to save the world from all the forces of evil?

Well, okay, I suppose you probably need a sword or a bow and quiver of arrows or special powers or something. And a plan. Yes, a plan is a good thing, don’t you think? Because bad guys are devious and smart, so you can’t just expect to waltz into their evil lair and defeat them simply with your presence.

Or can you? Does intimidation work? Maybe sometimes. In real life it does affect some things. But I think probably the best weapon generally ends up being words. Even the good guy with the sharpest sword (or the strongest power or whatever) ends up talking their way into and out of messes on a regular basis. Yes?

And then, in the climactic moment when something has to give, it’s words that ultimately have the most impact on the outcome of the battle.

So, besides being brave, I think in order for the good guy to defeat the evil stepmother-turned-dragon (ala Enchanted) he or she needs to be intelligent and well spoken. They need to have it in them to run toward the scary dragon while everyone else is running away, asking why? Why did this happen? Why to this person or these people and in this situation? And how can I fix it or make it better?

Because only by running toward the forces of evil can the hero realize what needs to be done to save the day. Happens all the time in real life, just not in such an obvious way. Think about it. Is there a situation in your life in which words have won a battle for you? I’d love to hear about it.

7 comments:

lotusgirl said...

Determination is very important. I don't think the hero in a book has to be a good speaker. A mute could be a great hero.

Rebecca Blevins said...

Yes, there is.

A few weeks ago someone insulted my son. (Thankfully, he was absorbed in something and didn't hear.) This person was an adult, and should have known better.

I called her on it, and told her in a calm way that what she did wasn't kind. She tried to brush it off with an excuse, and I let her know that it still was an unkind thing to say.

She felt like an idiot, and because I wasn't rude back to her, I felt like I had won. I was so proud of myself for standing up to someone, instead of later going over and over what I _could_ have said.

Rebecca Blevins said...

Oh yes, and that person has a habit of being rude. Earlier that same day she said something unkind about my baby. I don't know if she realizes how she comes across, but she did that time.

Unknown said...

It sounds like Rebecca has been targeted by this person because they are jealous of her.
But really, don't we all sweet talk our way into or out of many situations that threaten us?
Another point is that the hero has usually grown into the kind of person who has to fight against evil by the time the battle arrives. If I apply this to real life, maybe we can all fight our battles and come out as heros.

Carolyn V. said...

Words can be the best weapon.

I love Rebecca's comment. It's important to take a stand, but it's also good to know when to hold one's tongue. I hope I can stand up at the right times. =D

Unknown said...

While Doctor Who isn't fairytale, words are his only weapon (unless you count the sonic screwdriver) and he always saves the day (to some extent anyway).

ali cross said...

Words almost never win my battles for me because I suck at them. Saying them, that is. I stick my foot in my mouth on a regular basis and am more likely to CAUSE more problems than help them.

But I agree with you that in our stories, words are usually the catalysts.