Monday, April 26, 2010

More About Bill the Cheeseburger

Just because Bill is no longer with Happy doesn’t mean she won’t always remember him. In the way of all the best things in life, his memory will live on for many, many cheeseburgers to come.

Have you ever had an experience like Happy had with Bill? I have. Every once in a while, I read a book like this. And then I pour through all the books I can find, hoping to get the same kind of satisfaction that I got with the first book (or series of books), but none of them are quite right. Some might come close, and I give them lots of credit. Still. Not the first book (s).

Then, one day, I get over my obsession with book #1, and eventually happen upon another book I love, and the process starts over.

This, to me, is the definition of a great story. When you just can’t stop thinking about it, when you scour the world to find something else that compares, when you become almost obsessive in your love of the main characters. That is some dang good reading.

It resonates, sticks, changes you. It’s what I hope my writing will someday do for just one reader.

That will be good enough success for me.

But, you know, if my book happens to get a high spot on the NYTBL, that would be really good too.

2 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

The NYTBL would be awesome!

It was so great to see you last weekend! =)

Anonymous said...

I just read a book that's sticking with me all right. I just haven't decided if it's a good kind or not. (Don't worry, it's not yours but I'll be reading that one today!)