Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Things I Love, Day 4: Dreams, Goals, and Aspirations

You know that famous speech by Martin Luther King Jr.? I have a dream...(Yeah, okay, I know. Everyone knows about that speech.)

But really, I do have a dream. Lots of them, actually. And goals, and aspirations and plans. Not just for myself, but for my family, my friends, the world. I dream that my children will find and follow their passion, discover their place in life and the universe. Me too, but in a different sense. I've found my passion, my calling. Unlike my teenagers, I'm finally to a place where I know what I want. And I'm learning how to get it.

I create goals, follow through, move forward. And as I find success--whatever the size--my children are watching me, learning. Growing from lessons I'm being taught .They're seeing first hand what happens when you aspire to do something, be something, and allow it to drive you.

My dreams are what drive me. And because those dreams include my family and our future, the fire that burns in me, the passion for my goals is passed on to them. They may not become authors, but it is my hope that my kids will grow up knowing that it is possible to follow a dream. That dreams are worth fighting for, worth sacrificing other wants and desires.

We don't know what will happen tomorrow, or next week, or even next year. But today, we can work diligently, knowing that if we keep at it, eventually, our hard work will pay off.

I love that. I love that by seeking out my personal goals I am setting an example for my children to do the same. But even more than that, I really just love that I'm able to dream. To picture something in my head and wonder what it will be like when that dream becomes a reality. I may be a fiction writer, but when I dream, I dream big. Real. Solid. Goals I intend to reach and surpass. There will always be something for which I am reaching, and my journey is a lifelong, never-ending one.

Yeah. I love that too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwkpihGwSj0
**I was going to post a video here, but it's disabled. You'll have to click the link. But it's worth it. This is a great, great song. 

4 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

I agree Nichol, I have seen a difference in my children since I've started writing. Plus I do believe hard work will pay off. It's worth it. =)

Keith N Fisher said...

Hope lives, and the dream will never die. :)

I don't think my daughter has noticed, but I know she will. good blog.

Anonymous said...

The greatest gift my parents ever gave me was their belief that I could be whatever I wanted to be. They gave me the permission to chase my dreams--my dreams--and it has made all the difference.

Nichole Giles said...

Long may we ever dream! Thanks everyone.

Nichole